Friday, February 14, 2014

Is It Spring Yet?



 The winter doldrums have set upon the Land of the Shining Mountains.  Generally in northwestern Montana we have cloudy day upon cloudy day.  Occasionally though the sun does shine and gets me thinking about spring.



 The pending arrival of spring has most of us thinking about new beginnings.  I get an increased motivation to train for summer activities and also fight that mid-winter accumulation of insulation.  I still can remember the pain I felt in previous years when I was not fit enough to hit the scree slopes in Glacier.  The avoidance of pain is a great motivator.



 Here are some things I do to motivate myself to keep plugging away at that fitness.



 1)      I make a list of peaks I want or need to climb this year.



 2)      Set small fitness goals to achieve along the way to fitness such as run 4 miles in less than 32 minutes or run for 40 minutes 4 times per week.  Set your own personal goals based upon your fitness level and ability.  For example, I would love to run 5:20 minute miles again like I did in high school, but that is not realistic.  So instead I shoot for 7 minute miles which are an achievable goal for me.



 3)      Take advantage of the occasional sunny day and reward yourself by escaping outside for a nice run or walk or ride instead of hitting the gym.  Sunshine does the body good.



 4)      Change up the exercise routine.  Instead of doing one cardio machine at the gym for 30 minutes try to do three or more machines at an increased rate of exertion for 10 minutes each.  Or if the gym is not crowded try hitting 7 machines for 5 minutes each.



 5)      Make yourself accountable by using a program such as RunKeeper.  Form a group with friends and make it a fun competition.



 6)       Nordic or backcountry skiing, as well as snowshoeing, can prove to be excellent cardio training for future summer activities.  Find a place that has some hills and hike, climb, or snowshoe up and down.  Train for what you will be doing in the summer.



Most of all keep yourself motivated by making it fun.  You do not have to get in shape all in the same day or week.  As a post-workout treat I use Recoverite from Hammer Nutrition.  I find that using Recoverite helps me feel like I can do it all again tomorrow.  Recoverite works by rebuilding muscle tissue and restoring muscle glycogen.



I have a link to Hammer Nutrition on my web page, www.climbglacier.com, for a discount on your first order from Hammer Nutrition.



 Get out there and get ready!


Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment